Fire outside

According to the NFPA, the numbers of fires are steadily decreasing over the past 15 years, yet, they are still deadly with 78% of fire deaths occurring in household fires. With rising safety features and further education on fire safety, we all can stop fires and keep that moving on a decline. Speaking of further education,  you can avoid potential disaster and keep your home, belongings and loved ones safe with these home safety tips. Read below!


Check all electrical lines

The condition of your home’s electrical lines are vital to maintaining a safe home. Look in all places of your house, including the attic and crawl spaces to ensure that insects or other creatures have not chewed the lines. Look at all lines for corrosion, split cables, bolts, or other connecting devices. Not only do these cause risk of electrical shock, but also deadly household fires.

Check for leaks

Natural gas leaks can cause great harm to all individuals in your home. If you smell a gas leak, immediately call a professional to inspect the situation. Check all gas pipes, valves, and regulators routinely to ensure safe use.

Keep candles away from flammable objects such as cloth, wood, hairspray, and others.

If you are unsure whether or not something is flammable, read the label carefully. There are many household objects that do not do well near heated areas.

Stick around when cooking.

While cooking in the kitchen, stay nearby and watch your food closely. Do not leave the house with food in the oven or on the stovetop. If a grease fire occurs, DO NOT pour water on the fire. Turn the heat off, and cover the pot with a metal lid to cut off oxygen from the flames.

Keep flammable materials such as matches or lighters away from small children

Small children should be kept away from all flammable materials at all times.

Turn off/unplug appliances

Always remember to turn off appliances such as the stove, and don’t forget to remove pots and pan from the burner immediately after cooking. When not in use, unplug appliances to avoid overheating.

Have a fire extinguisher

Don’t have a fire extinguisher installed in your home? Change this today.  Keeping a fire extinguisher within areas of high risk for fire could make all the difference of a small grease fire and total destruction of your home.


The next time you are cooking in the kitchen, trying to keep your home warm, or any time, remember fire safety. Make sure that your home and belongings are properly covered in case of accident. TVC Insurance offers Home Insurance for your home and family's peace of mind. 

Posted 12:53 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
Brought to you by your friends at TVC and Auto Club of America
टीवीसी(TVC) और ऑटो क्लब ऑफ अमेरिका में आपके दोस्तों द्वारा आपके लिए लाया गया है
Auto Club of America
Motor Club of America
TVC Marketing
TVC Pro-Driver