Going to a mechanic may be a bit intimidating. You wonder if they'll work with your car insurance to fix the issue at hand. Will they rip you off? With a little prep work, you can arm yourself with questions that will help you vet a potential mechanic.
Here are five questions that you can ask when you go to the mechanic. Your mechanic should be more than willing to answer.
- My car is doing [insert issue here]. What could this be? It's okay to call and ask before you go to the mechanic. It may be nothing, but it might be very serious. Ignoring the problem could end up costing more by not taking immediate action.
- What would you do in my shoes? An honest mechanic can often tell you how they'd handle it if it were their car.
- Do you specialize in [your type of vehicle]? There's nothing wrong with a shop handing specific cars. They should tell you this up front and not be afraid to point you to someone who can serve you better.
- Can you rank the repairs? When you get a long list of repairs, it gets expensive real fast. See if some can wait while you fix the biggest ones.
- What certifications do you have? All mechanic should be ASE-certified. Specialists may have extra certification to better ensure they can fix your car.
Of course, these questions aren't fool-proof. Use your common sense and gut feeling to make your final decision. While it's good to have a long term relationship with your mechanic, you shouldn't be afraid to search around until you find one that's right for you.
Besides asking questions of the people who do the work, consider doing the following:
Visit the shop in person. You're not looking for pristine conditions. A good work space that's clean and has good lighting is fine. But, they should be busy and there should be a nice flow of vehicles coming in and going out.
Ask the other customers about their experiences at the shop. A lot of long-time customers is a good sign.
Go with your gut feeling. Even if the mechanics answer your questions well, there could be something that doesn't feel right. That's okay. Go on to another shop and repeat the process. Finding a good mechanic isn't as easy as finding one who can work with your auto insurance. Done right, it will make car ownership much easier.
Call TVC Insurance at (844) 748-5675 and we can help you get a Texas auto insurance quote.